Editor’s Note: As a sponsor of the New York Baby Show, which New York Family produces, we asked our friends at Canon for great tips on photographing babies and toddlers. Enjoy!
PREGNANCY TO BIRTH
1) Baby bump photo series: Learn how to document your pregnancy with a fun portrait series.
• Find a neutral, even-toned background like a white or beige wall.
• Frame the shot and keep Mom’s belly as the hero.
• Shoot at the same time of day to keep lighting consistent.
2) First baby picture: They’re only born once. Be prepared to capture this life-changing moment with the quality it deserves.
• Set white balance to Tungsten to keep your image from looking yellow.
• Turn off the flash and use natural light.
• Set ISO to 400 for greater brightness.
BIRTH TO 3 YEARS
1) Baby on the move: From crawling to walking to full-on sprinting, use these tips to get great photos of your budding explorer.
• Use Continuous Shooting Mode to keep your baby in focus no matter how fast they’re moving.
• Shoot in Shutter Priority (Tv) mode and make sure you use a high shutter speed to avoid any unwanted blurring.
• Get low at ground level and simply touch the LCD screen to keep your on-the-move baby in focus.
2) Baby birthdays: Before they blow out the candles, prepare to blow them away. Check out these tips for great candid photos and videos for any birthday party.
• Capture a close-up video of your child with an f/2.8 or faster portrait lens for better low light images.
• Get up close to your child so you can capture the fun of the moment.
• Increase the ISO in low light situations to avoid dark images.
To learn more from Canon USA, visit shop.usa.canon.com/Family!