Perhaps more than any other part of raising a baby, breast and bottle feeding offers the most conundrums, issues and debates. It is such a huge part of keeping your newborn healthy and growing, but problems such as colic, gas and spit up make it such a difficult process. Bittylab is here to help solve those problems with their line of baby bottles and artificial nipples. Bittylab will be at the New York Baby Show on May 14th and 15th, at Pier 92.
The nation’s biggest show for expectant and new families, the New York Baby Show is a wonderful family-friendly mega-event featuring everything to do with maternity, baby, and toddler. From top products to trusted parenting experts, the New York Baby Show welcomes thousands of expectant and new parents from New York City, the Tri-State area, and beyond!
Tickets to the New York Baby Show are $30 per family, and $20 per individual.
We spoke with Priska Diaz, founder and CEO of Bittylab, to learn more.
For someone unfamiliar with Bittylab, how would you describe the company’s mission and core offerings?
Bittylab delivers innovative, functional and technologically-advanced products designed to solve specific baby & mother needs. The first line of products is the Bare Air-free baby bottle, born in the kitchen table of Priska Diaz, a breastfeeding mom of two, pioneer and inventor. Today, Bare Air-free baby bottles are available for purchase at 185 Babies “R” Us locations all across the US as well as online.
What is the background of Bittylab? When was it started and how has it evolved since then?
Bittylab is the company behind the new Bare Air-Free baby bottles. Bare makes sense of the physical and mental chaos of new motherhood and is a gifting essential. A new mom, Priska Diaz walked the floors and streets (and eyed the ceiling) while her newborn son screamed with gas after bottle-feeding. That experience became the mother of her invention: a baby bottle that works like a syringe to expel air out of the bottle and keep it out—to once and for all get milk to baby without even a whisper of air. Breasts don’t have air vents, why should baby bottles? The Perfe-latch Nipple, a very special nipple that emulate an actual breast, followed. This enabled a baby to suckle and draw in milk just as your mini-me does on the breast. So you can have it both ways: breast and bottle-fed baby. Revolutionary? Totally. The Bare Bottle, produced by her company, Bittylab, lets you feed a baby upright to minimize gas and thwarts obesity with a more natural flow of milk intake. Priska, a Peruvian immigrant who came here at 17 and worked three jobs to pay for college and graduate school, has a master’s degree in packaging design from Pratt. She spent eight years perfecting and patenting her process before making Bare baby bottles available in Babies “R” Us stores across the country.
What are the most popular and/or newest products from Bittylab?
Since February of this year, Bittylab’s first line of products is the Bare Air-free baby bottles line, available at selected Babies “R” Us stores. The first of two product lines is Bare for breastfed babies, (pink/purple colored package) featuring the unique Perfe-latch nipple that promotes a deep/wide latch, like breastfed babies do and the tip extends upon suction, just like mom’s. The second is Bare for bottle-fed babies, featuring our Easy-latch Nipple (green colored package). Both nipples offer our Flow-Control Technology, designed to allow the baby to control the flow and pace that he drinks with suction strength. Both lines offer the same air-free feeding system: a seal, called Air-plug gets inserted at the bottom of the sleeve (body of bottle), followed by a foot, upon filling out the bottle with milk and closing it with the nipple/collar, the user can expel the air by pushing the Air-plug up before feeding the baby, like a syringe. The magic happens when the baby begins to suck the milk and the Air-plug moves automatically to deliver milk with zero air to nip gas in the bud.
What sets Bittylab apart from other baby bottle companies on the market?
Our products are different because they do the following:
- Eliminate air from inside of the bottle, and keep it out to really help prevent gas and colic
- Bare allows the user expel all the air out of the bottle before feeding the baby by pushing the internal sliding air-plug, like a syringe. As soon as the baby starts feeding and creates suction, the air-plug moves by itself and feeds the baby milk without air. As the air-plug moves, the area where the milk is held keeps shrinking, eliminating any vacuum build up or the need for air-vents.
- Most, if not all, of the other baby bottles available on the market include some form of air-vent. A vent is an orifice somewhere in the bottle that allows air in to compensate for vacuum build up when baby creates suction. This constant stream of air get mixed with the milk resulting in air ingestion which is known to cause gas and colic. Bare bottles do not include an air vent, so no air gets into the bottle.
- Both of our nipples (Perfe-latch and Easy-latch) offer Flow-Control Technology which allow babies to control the flow and pace at which they feed. Even during the same feeding, a baby will apply different suction force depending on how hungry he or she is. As the baby is finishing up, the suction levels diminish as well as the flow of milk. This action prevents overfeeding and, in turn, spit ups and vomit.
- Eliminate Nipple Confusion: Bare is the only baby bottle that promotes and supports breastfeeding
- Our Perfe-latch nipple is the only one in the market that promotes a deep and wide breastfeeding latch and extends (by design) when baby applies suction, just like the mothers’. Synergistically, the internal sliding air-plug, which has been regulated to have a similar resistance as the breast, only delivers milk upon suction to continue the same latch and suction patterns as with breastfeeding. This action helps prevent nipple confusion, and promotes easy feeding, bottle preference and premature weaning.
- Eliminate the need for drugs such as over-the-counter gas drops
- Because Bare works with suction (as opposed to gravity) the baby doesn’t need to lie down or recline to feed, and Bare doesn’t need to turn upside down. Bare encourages upright feeding, which is recommended by pediatricians to help prevent gas/fuss/colic/spit-up and ear infection, calm acid reflux/GERD symptoms, encourage proper feeding posture, promote self-feeding, stimulate bottle weaning and improve transition to cups. (http://www.bittylab.com/upright-feeding)
- In an independent trial with 200 babies, moms reported an improvement of up to 95% in diagnosed acid reflux babies, and some were able to stop the medication prescribed from their doctors after seeing this improvement.
- Eliminate consumables
- Bare eliminates the need for disposable bags (one single plastic bag takes up to 1000 years to biodegrade, and the thinner the plastic, the more it tends to leach out chemicals even at room temperature).
- Bare doesn’t offer nipple stages. Our nipples are designed based on baby’s latch and accommodate feeding patterns. The Perfe-latch nipple is for breastfeeding and the Easy-latch nipple is designed for bottle feeding.
- Both nipples offer Flow-Control Technology. Different size orifices on the tip of the nipples dispense different flow rates controlled by baby’s sucking strength. With weaker suction (i.e. from a newborn) only one orifice dispenses milk. With stronger suction (such as from a very hungry baby) all other orifices dispense. This technology gives the baby full control of flow and pace and prevents overfeeding.
What can parents expect to see from Bittylab at the New York Baby Show?
For our first exhibition at the New York Baby Show, parent can expect to see, touch, feel and drink from Bare Air-free baby bottles. Feeding expert and ‘mompreneur’ Priska Diaz will be available to speak to the parents and explain the unmatched benefits that Bare offers, by demonstrating how the bottles work and their leak-free, air-free abilities. In addition, there will be other lactation and feeding experts. Parents will have the opportunity to take a free sample of Bare Air-free Baby bottles and receive coupons to purchase more. We’ll have games to enter to win our Starter Sets valued at $60.
To learn more, check out bittylab.com